In June 2014, WIP hosted a session entitled “The impact of Women in Parliaments in Islamic Society” at the headquarters of the Islamic Organisation of Science and Culture ISESCO. The event focused on the political empowerment of female Parliamentarians in Islamic countries and their growing role in Islamic society. This session took place in the framework of the Annual Session of the Crans Montana Forum, from 19 to 22 June 2014 in Rabat, Morocco. Female Parliamentarians from the countries of the Organisation of the Islamic Cooperation OIC were invited to participate.
Silvana Koch-Mehrin, Founder of WIP, was among the Special Guests of the Opening Session of this Forum (Friday 20 June), together with the following Heads of State:
- Mr. Blaise Compaoré, President of the Republic of Burkina Faso
- Mr. Filip Vujanovic, President of the Republic of Montenegro
- Mr. Pierre Nkurunziza, President of the Republic of Burundi
- Mrs. Marie Louise Coleiro Preca, President of the Republic of Malta
- Mr. Gordon Darcy Lilo, Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands
- Mr. Roger Kolo, Prime Minister of the Republic of Madagascar
Speakers at the WIP Plenary Session “The impact of Women in Parliaments in Islamic Society”:
- Mrs. Svetlana Vujanovic, First Lady of Montenegro
- Princess Rachael Yisa, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Gender Affairs, Niger State, Nigeria
- Mrs. Margaret Mensah-Williams, Vice President of IPU Women’s Coordinating Committee
- Mrs. Linda Tsen Thau Lin, MP of the Parliament of Malaysia
- Mrs. Laila Miyara, Chair of the Association des Femmes Entrepreneurs du Maroc
- Mrs. Kedija Belhadi, Founder and President of the Association of Women Entrepreneurs, Algeria
Please find here the official programme.