The political upheaval in Belarus is an urgent reminder to assess more widely the important role of women rising, and in grasping the reins of political leadership.
Women Political Leaders (WPL) and the Lithuanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, are organising a high-level panel discussion featuring the participation of women leaders who have upheld democratic ideals and transformative leadership skills throughout their careers.
The Webinar “Women rising for democracy” wants to serve as a telling illustration of how women have championed democracy in the past and what support, whether cultural, legislative or policy they need to continue doing so into the future.
Tuesday, September 8th – from 16.00 to 17.20 CET
Moderator: Silvana Koch-Mehrin, President & Founder, WPL
- Linas Linkevičius, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Lithuania
- Věra Jourová, Vice-President, European Commission, European Commissioner for Values and Transparency.
- Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, Opposition Leader, Belarus, Candidate Presidential Election (2020), Human Rights Activist
- Rosalía Arteaga, President of Ecuador (1997), Member of the WPL Board, President of the Fidal Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees of the Library of Alexandria
- Hafsat Abiola, Founder Kudirat Initiative for Democracy, Nigeria President of Women in Africa (WIA)
- Svetlana Alexievich, Investigative journalist, Belarus, Nobel Laureate in Literature (2015)
*In speaking order
During the Question & Answer session, participants will have the opportunity to submit questions, both ahead of time and live during the webinar.
To submit your questions prior to the event or for any inquiry, please send an email to email@example.com.