– English & Spanish versions as PDF below –
The Women in Parliaments Global Forum (WIP) meets in Sao Paulo (Brazil) for its WIP Latin America Reunion 2014
Female Parliamentarians from Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico and Venezuela will address the economic and social concerns for the region and the specific role of female MPs.
Ana Gabriela Guevara, current Mexican Senator and former track and field athlete, will open this WIP Latin America Reunion on Sunday evening.
25-26 May 2014, Sao Paulo, Brazil
The Women in Parliaments Global Forum (WIP) will meet in Sao Paulo (Brazil) for its WIP Latin America Reunion 2014, the next 25 and 26 May. Female Parliamentarians from 7 different Latin American countries (Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico and Venezuela) will gather to discuss about their role in the social and economic challenges for the region.
Ana Gabriela Guevara, now-retired track and field athlete and current Mexican Senator, will open the meeting with a keynote speech on Sunday. The Senator has succeeded in overcoming gender stereotypes in sports and in politics. Guevara also took part in the successful WIP Annual Summit at the European Parliament (27-29 November 2013) and the WIP Study Trip to Iceland (3-4 April 2014).
On Monday, the Parliamentarians will participate in the two round tables “Women in Parliaments: impact stories for economic growth” and “Legislators want it all: fairness, growth and sustainability. So which way forward?”. The debates will offer the opportunity to international female politicians to share good practises and exchange experiences from different countries.
The mission of the Women in Parliaments Global Forum (WIP) is to create a strong network between female Parliamentarians and to increase the number of female Members of Parliaments in Latin America and worldwide.
Further information about the WIP Latin America Reunion 2014
- Official Programme of the WIP Latin America Reunion 2014
- Twitter list of participants (Official hashtag: #wipbrazil)
- Interview with Rebeca Grynspan, Head of the Ibero-American Secretariat (SEGIB) & WIP Advisor
- Information brochure of the Women in Parliaments Global Forum (WIP).
- WIP video
Further information about the Women in Parliaments Global Forum (WIP)
- The Women in Parliaments Global Forum (WIP) is an independent, international and non-partisan foundation established with the purpose of advancing society by building a network of Women in Parliaments.
- It is the only global forum for all female Parliamentarians. WIP endeavours to find ways to address global challenges by using the collective experience of Women in Parliaments across the world.
- An Advisory Board oversees and provides guidance for the activities of the foundation, consisting of outstanding political and social leaders such as Zainab Bangura, Kathy Calvin, Ertharin Cousin, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, Benita Ferrero-Waldner, Jane Goodall, Rebeca Grynspan, Tarja Halonen, Mo Ibrahim, Jeni Klugman, Pascal Lamy, Denis Mukwege, Alhaji Muhammad Mumuni, Ana Palacio, Lakshmi Puri, Sheika Haya Rashed Al Khalifa, Viviane Reding, Olli Rehn, Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, Laura Tyson, Jody Williams, Muhammad Yunus and Saadia Zahidi.
- After the WIP Latin America Reunion 2014, the Women in Parliaments Global Forum (WIP) will meet in Rwanda – country leader in female political empowerment- for its Summer Summit 2014, from 1 to 3 July 2014.
For further information, please contact the WIP Communications Officer: Aretha Francis, [hide-email email=”firstname.lastname@example.org”]
Tel: +32 476.545.929
Press release – Wip Latin America Reunion 2014